The 10th annual book drive is up and running! Gently used and new books can be dropped off at designated locations until May 15th. View press release for details and drop off locations.
When: April 25, 2015
Registration: ends April 17th
Congratulations to all the Seniors in the Arts Award Recipients!
View a list of winners with biographies.
Join us in celebrating the artistic achievements of student artists from throughout the Worcester Public Schools.
Most events are at the Worcester Public Library, March 13th - 30th.
Our next meeting is Wednesday April 1st @ 6PM
- Sports Night is going to be Wednesday, May 27
- Meat Raffle at The Press Box on Lincoln St on Saturday March 28th @ 4pm
- Click here for more Info!
Buy Your BHS Patriot Gear Here!
Click here to look at all the great Sweatshirts, hoodies, T-shirts, bags, and other clothing items all with BHS Patriot Logos! All proceeds support our athletes! Time to look like a true Patriot!
Congratulations...Read about their win HERE!
The BHS Robotics team is headed into a busy 2015 season.
Congratulations to the Green Reapers who won the Engineering Inspiration Award for the second year in a row. The 20 or so judges selected Burncoat as the outstanding team out of 39 others for their passion, spirit, professionalism, engineering excellence and community outreach. It is the second highest award given next to Chairman's Award. We hope to make it to WPI New England Championships in 4 weeks. To do this, we have to be one of the top 50 robots out of the 250 plus robots in New England. We placed 5th in Reading playoffs as part of the 2nd seed alliance.
Telegram & Gazette Recent Article
Check out the
Green Reaper's News Page.
Read more here!
March 9, 2015 from
May 9, at 7:30pm, The BHS Quadrivium will join The Salisbury Singers for a concert entitled
THE AMERICAN SPIRITUAL TRADITION
500 SALISBURY ST.
WORCESTER, MA 01609
From slave times right up until today, African Americans have created meaningful and inspiring music. Salisbury Singers will explore 150 years of this folk music we call the “spiritual.” From William Dawson and Jester Hairston to Moses Hogan and André Thomas, these composers have given us music that will have your toes tapping and your heart swelling! Salisbury Singers is pleased to be joined on this concert by the Burncoat High School Quadrivium choir.
Student tickets available for $10 at the door with student id
Read More About It Here!
They are the 2015 MSSAA State Champions!
The team qualified in both divisions for the New England High School Dance Championships. There they competed against over 30 teams in Jazz and Hip Hop. The team took home
2nd overall in Jazz and 3rd overall in Hip Hop in New England and top in both categories in MA!
- The dance team also received a Community Service Award yesterday from the MIAA from the participation in "We are High School" at the 2014 NFHS Summer Meeting in Boston, MA. They will also be receiving the MIAA Gold award for Academic Excellence during the 2014-2015 season this year with a GPA combined average of over a 3.5. Amazing!!!
Check out their AWARD WINNING PERFORMANCE!!
Edith Mensah Otabil from Burncoat High School is the proud recipient of a $20,000 Coca Cola Scholarship which is a highly competitive national scholarship that recognizes student who have shown great leadership potential, not only in academics, but most importantly, in dedication and actions that positively impact others. Edith has a 4.33 GPA, is taking honors and AP classes and was accepted Early Decision to the College of the Holy Cross. She is the recipient of numerous community service and academic awards.
Best Wishes to Edith on her future academic endeavors.
Read about the scholarship program here!
- Congratulations to the The Winners at the METG Drama Festival held on Sat. Feb. 28. The All Star Award Winners are... are....
- Upcoming Shows...The cast has been chosen...hard work is ahead....Keep an eye out for our upcoming Presentation of "Little Show of Horrors" on April 30, May 1, and 2 at 7 PM.
SUPPORT THE ARTS PROGRAM - BUY A T-SHIRT!
BHS ARTS T-SHIRTS ARE ONLY $10!
CLICK HERE FOR AN ORDER FORM...or see
Ms. Kewley in the Auditorium!
Mary Nancy Kamanga and Laurana Nyman.
Read More about the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards here! Here are the Silver Key Award Art pieces! Congratulations Artists!
Artist Laurana Nyman
Artist Mary Nancy Kamanga
Mr. Donington’s Google Coding Challenge
Attention, any students who are interested in working with computers, or think it might be fun to try it out! Google is offering a FREE introductory course on computer coding through Khan Academy, and Mr. Donington can get you started! This free class is open to anyone, but is especially intended to help students of color and young women gain FREE experience in this high-demand, high-paying field. What’s more, for completing the course, you will receive a $100 DonorsChoose.org gift-card that can be used to buy new computers and technology right here at Burncoat! Even better, if at least 10 underrepresented students complete the course by March 15th, Google will donate an extra $1,000 to Burncoat’s tech needs, and those first 10 students will receive a pizza party on Mr. Donington’s dime! To participate, you don’t need any experience, but do need access to the internet. You take the class on your own time, from wherever you please. Please see Mr. Donington’s signup sheet outside D-8 if interested. See the flyer here!
The BHS Junior/Senior Prom will be Friday, May 29 @ Mechanics Hall. Price per student and/or couple and the theme will be determined soon and posted!
Need a Prom Dress?
One Enchanted Evening Free Prom Dress Event!
The One Enchanted Evening Project was started by Madeline Dolan, a high school student at Shrewsbury High School. She saw a need for high school girls in central Massachusetts who were unable to attend prom because of their financial situation and wanted to find a solution – so she started the One Enchanted Evening Project. The goal of the project is to promote self-confidence for high school girls by providing them with free gowns for their high school prom. We hope to continue this project for years to come.
Register for the Event at
by April 5th!
check it out on
The pickup date to get your dress is Saturday, April 11.
...the dates are
March 18 from 5-9
March 28 from 8-12
April 1 from 5-9
Burncoat High School started its spring 2015 VHS classes. 25 students are presently enrolled. They are pursuing exciting online courses like Criminology, Constitutional Law, Entrepreneurship, Screenwriting Fundamentals, and Mandarin Chinese, among others.
For over 9 years, The Virtual High School (VHS) Collaborative has been part of Burncoat. They offer full-time and supplemental online courses in STEM, AP®, Honors, Gifted & Talented, and electives to help prepare students for college and careers.
Thinking about signing up for one of many classes with VHS, that’s great! The next semester is fall 2015. In the meantime, get information for classes from Ms. Cartagena in B2 or the VHS Collaborative website. Dates for signing up will be announced in the spring.
- This test is for those students who have yet to pass their initial ELA M.C.A.S. exam. Grades 11, 12 and repeat 10th graders. Also, students new to Massachusetts Public Schools who have never taken the M.C.A.S. and are in grades 11 or 12.
- This test is for those students who have yet to pass their initial Math M.C.A.S. exam. Grades 11, 12 and repeat 10th graders. Also, students new to Massachusetts Public Schools who have never taken the M.C.A.S. and are in grades 11 or 12.
- This exam is for first time grade 10 students
M.C.A.S. Mathematics Grade 10 is May 19 & 20
- This exam is for first time grade 10 students
- This exam is for first time Biology students, typically all of grade 9.
June 1 Begins the Window for PARCC Exam...Our school is a pilot school for this exam.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR STUDENTS
Scholarships Available NOW! Check Out the Scholarship Book in the A 9 Guidance office
Greater Worcester Scholarship Foundation due March 9th
will be available in the Guidance office as of February 2nd
SAT Dates as Follows:
- February 7, 2015 Test Date
- March 14, 2015 Test Date - Registration Deadline is Feb. 13
- May 2, 2015 Test Date - Registration Deadline is April 6
- June 6, 2015 Test Date - Registration Deadline is May 8
- For More Information AND Practice Tests http://www.collegeboard.org
- February 7 Test Date - Registration Deadline is Jan. 9
- April 18 Test Date - Registration Deadline is March 13
- June 13 Test Date - Registration Deadline is May 8
- For More Information: http://www.act.org
May 4-8 and May 11-15, 2015
AP Art Studio. All Digital Submissions Must be into Collegeboard by May 1 and forwarded to the teachers.
|School Hours: 7:20 am - 1:43 pm
Burncoat High School will continue to implement a formal communication system as a means to transfer information on effective practices and needs. All faculty will participate on a regular basis in professional development activities targeted toward the school’s Instructional Focus and the school-wide Best Practices. All students will experience a rigor-based curriculum taught through instructional strategies meant to improve reading comprehension as measured by MAPS, MCAS, PSAT, ACT, ACCESS, and AP scores as well as other formative assessments.